THAILAND – Phi Phi Island, a group of islands located off the coast of Phuket, Thailand, has long been a popular tourist destination for travelers from around the world.
These islands are famous for their breathtaking natural beauty, white sandy beaches, and crystal-clear waters.
On a day trip with the Nine Ocean Tour and Travel team on Saturday, May 27, 2023, the Author and a group of foreign tourists visited three main islands in Phi Phi Island: Phi Phi Don, Phi Phi Lay, and Khai Island, using a 50-passenger speedboat.
The atmosphere was delightful, guided by the reliable tour leader, Max (24 yo). Before embarking on the journey, Max and the team welcomed the arrival of tourists from various countries to register and have breakfast.
To ensure a smooth trip to Phi Phi Island, Max first educated the tourists about several important things to note during the journey.
“Don’t forget to apply sunscreen, wear sunglasses, and a hat to protect yourself from the sun’s heat,” Max said.
Exploring the Three Islands in Phi Phi Island
We had the opportunity to join a day trip to Phi Phi Island, an exotic destination located in Phuket Province, Thailand. This journey offered an unforgettable experience, combining stunning natural beauty with adventure and excitement.
The journey began with a visit to Phi Phi Don Island, the largest island in the Phi Phi Islands cluster. At Monkey Beach, we were greeted by the presence of adorable monkeys playing on the beach.
We could interact with them and capture adorable moments with the monkeys. Their presence became an unforgettable attraction at Monkey Beach.
However, Max warned the tourists not to touch the monkeys on this beach.
“Feel free to take photos, but do not touch the monkeys here,” Max said.
Afterwards, we continued our adventure with snorkeling activities in the waters surrounding Phi Phi Don. The water was clear and filled with diverse marine life, such as beautiful coral reefs and colorful fish.
Together with Max, the knowledgeable tour leader from Nine Ocean who had extensive knowledge about the marine environment, we were taken to explore the amazing underwater wonders. This snorkeling experience left us mesmerized by the underwater beauty of Phi Phi Island.
Before entering the water, Max and the team provided snorkeling equipment such as goggles, life jackets, and fins.
“If you see fire coral while swimming, it’s best to avoid it as it is highly dangerous. Contact with fire coral can cause injury and infection,” Max advised.
After the refreshing activities, the tourists enjoyed a delicious local lunch at one of the beachfront restaurants in Phi Phi Don. In addition to lunch, tourists could also enjoy the beach atmosphere and shop for souvenirs at the Phi Phi Don island’s art market.
Satisfied with the activities on Phi Phi Don Island, we continued the journey to the next island, Phi Phi Lay. Here, we visited Viking Cave, a cave famous for its intriguing ancient paintings.
We listened to Max’s explanation about the cave’s history and its significance to the local community.
“In this place, we are only allowed to take pictures,” Max said.
Next, we continued our adventure by swimming in the stunning Pileh Lagoon. The water was clear and had a turquoise blue color, creating a breathtaking view. We felt as if we were in a cool and peaceful tropical paradise.
Our journey in Phi Phi Lay continued with a visit to Maya Bay, one of the famous destinations that served as the filming location for the movie “The Beach.”
We were excited to see the beauty of this beach up close. However, what made this experience even more interesting was the discovery of baby sharks swimming in the waters around Maya Bay.
Max explained to the tourists about the uniqueness of these species and the importance ofconserving the fragile marine ecosystem. Seeing the Baby Shark in its natural habitat was a rare and unforgettable experience.”
He emphasized the significance of preserving the delicate balance of marine life and the role each individual can play in protecting it. Max highlighted the importance of responsible tourism practices, such as refraining from touching or disturbing marine creatures and avoiding harmful chemicals that can harm coral reefs.
He also encouraged the tourists to be mindful of their actions, such as not littering and properly disposing of waste. Max stressed the need to respect the local rules and customs, maintain cleanliness, and appreciate the natural beauty and cultural heritage of Phi Phi Island.
Max’s insightful explanations and dedication to environmental conservation left a lasting impression on the tourists. They realized the impact their behavior could have on the island’s ecosystem and vowed to become more responsible travelers in the future.
Throughout the day trip, Max’s expertise, friendly personality, and deep knowledge of Phi Phi Island made the journey smooth and enjoyable for everyone. His meticulous planning, ensuring all their needs were met, contributed to a seamless and memorable experience.
The presence of a diverse group of tourists, including Saleh from Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, added further richness to the trip. The opportunity to share experiences, broaden perspectives, and embrace cultural diversity within the group enhanced the overall journey.
Saleh (30 yo), expressing his excitement, said, “This is my first time visiting Phuket, and it has been a delightful experience for me as I truly enjoy marine tourism.”
The one-day excursion to Phi Phi Island created unforgettable memories for all participants. The breathtaking natural beauty, exhilarating adventures, and valuable experiences shared with fellow travelers from around the world made this journey truly meaningful.
The group felt fortunate to explore the wonders of Phi Phi Island under the guidance of Max, a dedicated tour leader. The camaraderie within the group, filled with warmth and mutual respect, added to the sense of togetherness.
They hoped that their day trip to Phi Phi Island would inspire many others to discover the natural wonders of the world. The journey also reminded them of the importance of preserving the environment and conserving the beautiful ecosystems of these islands.
With gratitude in their hearts, they departed from Phi Phi Island, cherishing not only a short vacation but an adventure that filled their souls with everlasting memories. Phi Phi Island had taught them about the beauty of nature, biodiversity, and the significance of respecting and preserving the local cultural heritage.
Tips for Visiting Phi Phi Island:
When visiting Phi Phi Island, Max shared some do’s and don’ts to keep in mind. Here are some guidelines on what you should and shouldn’t do while on Phi Phi Island:
1. Respect local rules and etiquette: Honor local rules and customs. Maintain cleanliness, avoid littering, and respect the environment and local culture.
2. Preserve the natural beauty: Phi Phi Island is renowned for its natural beauty. Take care of the beaches, refrain from damaging coral reefs, and avoid taking or damaging plants and wildlife on the island.
3. Ensure safety: Prioritize personal safety and the safety of others. Follow safety regulations during activities like snorkeling or diving and adhere to instructions given by tour guides or competent instructors.
4. Maintain good health: Stay hydrated by drinking enough water, especially under the scorching sun. Use sunscreen to protect your skin from UV rays and consider wearing a hat or sunglasses for sun protection.
5. Enjoy outdoor activities: Make the most of the natural beauty of Phi Phi Island by participating in activities like snorkeling, diving, swimming, or exploring nature. Experience the beauty of coral reefs, white sandy beaches, and clear seawater.
1. Harm the environment: Avoid littering, especially on beaches and in the water. Take your trash with you or find available trash bins.
2. Harm the marine life: Do not touch or disturb marine creatures, including fish, turtles, and coral reefs. Avoid standing or stepping on coral reefs, as they are delicate and essential to the marine ecosystem.
3. Use harmful chemicals: Refrain from using harmful chemicals, such as sunscreen containing oxybenzone or octinoxate, as they can harm coral reefs and marine life. Instead, opt for reef-safe sunscreen options that are labeled as environmentally friendly.
4. Engage in irresponsible water activities: Avoid participating in activities that may harm marine life or damage the environment, such as feeding fish or collecting shells or corals. Respect the natural balance of the ecosystem and observe marine life from a safe and non-intrusive distance.
5. Disrespect local culture: Be mindful of the local customs and traditions. Dress appropriately when visiting sacred or religious sites and be respectful towards the local community.
6. Ignore safety instructions: Listen carefully to safety instructions provided by tour guides or instructors, especially during water activities. Follow their guidance to ensure your safety and the safety of others.
By following these do’s and don’ts, you can contribute to the preservation of Phi Phi Island’s unique ecosystem and help maintain its natural beauty for future generations to enjoy. Remember, responsible tourism practices are essential in protecting our planet’s fragile environments.